Assalaamu ‘alaikum wa rahmatullah
Respected Moulana Saheb
Please guide me as to how to do a proper and sincere taubah from all the sins that I have done.
I have already made taubah but I still continue sinning.
Waiting eagerly for your reply.
Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem
Wa ‘alaikumus salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu
- Masha-Allah. The concern that you have and the effort you are making toward giving up sins is very praiseworthy.
- As a start: Read the book, “Combating the Whisperings of shaitaan”. It can be accessed and read here. Alhamdulillah, many, many people have derived benefit from this talk.
- There are three requirements for a complete and sincere taubah:
- Being regretful and ashamed over one’s sins.
- Giving up the sin, immediately. There should be no delay in giving up sins.
- Having no intention to return to the sin.
Try and give time and read two rakaats of salaatut taubah. Thereafter, raise your hands, and with sincerity, beg Allah Ta‘ala to forgive all sins, major and minor, committed in the light of day and the darkness of night, deliberately and unknowingly. There should be genuine regret for the life that passed in disobedience to the One who is so Kind, Loving and Generous towards us.
From your side, there must be the firm resolve and commitment that you will not move in the direction of Allah Ta‘ala’s disobedience again. If, mistakenly, you fall into some sin, then taubah should be made again.
- My Shaikh, Hazrat Moulana Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Saheb (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) often presented the following questions for reflection. Read it again and again:
- Is sin good or bad?
The answer would be: Bad.
- Should a bad thing be given up or not?
The answer would be: It should be given up.
- Should it be given up quickly or slowly?
The answer would be: Quickly.
- Should it be given up before death or after death?
The answer would be: Before death.
- Do we know when death will occur?
The answer would be: No.
So sin should be given up immediately. It must not be that the Angel of death visits us when we are sinning and we return to Allah Ta‘ala, when He is displeased with us (Allah Ta‘ala protect us all).
- If you have missed salaah, then commence by making one qadha, with each of the fardh salaah that will be read for the day. Try your best. Don’t give up. If you have missed any fasts then try and keep at least one qadha fast a week. And if zakaat is due, then start paying it. If you have caused hurt or harm to anyone then seek their forgiveness.
The above is necessary for a complete taubah.
- Try and also read the general prescription given for giving up sins here.
- May Allah Ta‘ala grant us the taufeeq of sincere taubah, such that we do not consider or incline towards anything displeasing to Him, and may Allah Ta‘ala make us His Friends.
Was salaamu ‘alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh
Yunus Patel (Moulana)