The Month of Ramadhaan is synonymous with the recitation of the Quraan Majeed. Apart from it being revealed in this month, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would revise the Quraan Majeed with Jibreel (‘alaihis salaam) in the Month of Ramadhaan as well.
This dedication to the Quraan Majeed in the Month of Ramadhaan thereafter became the practice of the Aslaaf (pious predecessors). Hereunder are a few examples of this:
1. Aswad (rahimahullah) would complete the Quraan Majeed once every two days.
2. Imaam Abu Haneefah and Imaam Shaafi‘ee (rahimahumallah) would complete the Quraan Majeed more than 60 times in the Month of Ramadhaan.
3. Imaams Zuhri, Maalik and Sufyaan Thauri (rahimahumullah) would stop all other works (even deeni related) and dedicate their time to the recitation of the Quraan Majeed. (Lataaiful Ma‘aarif pg. 318)
4. Shaikhul Hadeeth Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya (rahimahullah) – the author of Fazaail e Aa’maal – completed an entire Quraan daily in the month of Ramadhaan for 42 years. (Aap Beeti, pg. 75)
5. Shaikhul Hadeeth Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya (rahimahullah) says: “One Ramadhaan, I encouraged some of my associates to recite 61 Quraans. (Hazratjee) Moulana In‘aamul Hasan (rahimahullah) – the third ameer of the Tableegh Jamaat – made 61 khatams. One friend made 56, and a few others made 60.” (Suhbate ba auliyaa pg. 204)
Apart from the dedication to the Quraan Majeed, we learn from the last two examples how close our Akaabir (seniors) of recent times were to the Aslaaf (pious predecessors) of the early centuries of Islam.
Did you know?
If you recite only 6 pages after every salaah, you will be able to, Insha-Allah, complete one khatam of the Quraan Majeed in Ramadhaan!